Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hi!

After a few busybusy weeks (root canals, termite tenting, travels), I was finally able to sit down and work on my SewConnected block for Rita.  I put a lot of contemplation into this first block as I have Never done a block quilt before.  I also bought a bunch of books for ideas (well, and just because I love quilt books), I wandered around Flickr looking at a bunch of blocks.  The idea came from bubbles.  I wanted to make a block that had bubbles.  I did do a practice block.  I will probably do one for each block I do.  Which means I will end up with two quilts once it's all said and done!  As you can see, my first block is pretty basic.  It was a definite lesson in applique!  I started out with a blanket stitch but it didn't give me the look I wanted so that was ripped and replaced with a tight zigzag.  Much better!  

My second block needed much more dimension as the linen made the bubbles just flat. So, I layered them. Popped 'em with some bright orange thread and we have bubbles!

On the knitting front, I am still doing it!  I am currently working on the Julia.  Again.  But this time I am bound and determined to actually finish her.  I have two sleeves and the back done.  Other than that?  Not much else going on in that front.  :)

5 comments:

Meg said...

I love your quilt blocks! Those circles are inspired--Rita is so lucky!

John said...

Tracy, your block looks GREAT! Wow, to jump right to applique on your first block ... ambitious! I haven't tried that yet. The bubbles turned out so well ... and the little bunny peeking out on the right is just the best. Good job!

Anonymous said...

You do sound busy! I can't believe this is your first quilt block because it looks amazing! So creative and so cute!! Thank you! And what a great idea to make practice blocks for yourself too!

Unknown said...

Love your block! Never would have known you aren't a seasoned quilter :)

Amy said...

I think both blocks look great. Rita is going to have a really fun quilt!